Tuesday, November 5, 2013

AHA!!!

I had a bit of an "aha" moment the other day.

I have a kid's place app downloaded on my Kindle, where the kids can easily play games without overloading my Kindle. I have many, many educational games on the site, as well as a few such as Minecraft, Temple Run, Minions, etc.

However...

No matter which kid had the Kindle, the educational games were completely ignored. Every. Single. Time.

Enter my "aha" moment. :)

Why on earth WOULD they choose to play the educational games?!? I wouldn't! They scream of "being taught" and are all about mastering things that are needed for SCHOOL.

AHA!!!!!! (And duh)

So, I went into my kindle and started unloading things. All those educational apps?? Gone. Good-bye. See ya.

In their place? I loaded Chess, a Sound Effects app (lol!), a White Board, a couple of Board Games, a Stopwatch, an app about the lunar cycles, a real time map, a weather app, etc. I mean really, how fun!!!!! I also added in some apps I had on my cloud. An Old Time Radio app, a Word Search, a couple of channels, and we're good to go!

Now THAT ought to be FUN!!!!

We are one week in to my unschooling experiment. BeastyBoy and MissesHerMama continue to attack life full-force, soaking up things as rapidly as they can. I also see them beginning to find their own limits. RockyGirl was raised much like this, and she is radically in tune with herself for being only 17.

Corazon however, is struggling. She has been told who to be and what to do for so long (at her orphanage) that it has killed the spark in her. She is one angry and sullen kiddo. She feels like she "not being taught". I can see that for her, unschooling has been too big of a change. My goal for today is talk over with her HOW she would like to learn. I will honor it no matter what she chooses. I am hoping that by helping her guide her own learning, she will gradually see that she definitely can learn herself. So for her, for now, we go with a delight-directed style of learning.

Honoring my kiddos. That's what this is all about. Teaching them that they are valuable people with desires and God-given talents.

What a beautiful way to live. :)

(Chance of snow today...can I just have the glorious days of summer back? :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Yes, this is my space, but I welcome your thoughts! Please share...